Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The KISS principle and making of a galette

Who does not like drama, well a bit of drama adds the much needed spunk to life.
But then dramas do not make for real life. Happiness and comfort often lies in the most simple things.
There are times when one consciously needs to slow down the pace of life. Take time to stop and appreciate smaller, seemingly insignificant things in life;listen to your soul which urges you to keep it simple- KISS.
Fanaticism of perfection often overpowers my senses. Over a time I have learnt that it is alright to do things which are imperfect but doing is important rather than waiting for that perfect " thing."
One such deliberately un-rushed day  when I thought of making a spinach quiche  or a tartlet, I chose to  keep it simple and make a rustic galette for dinner. Yeah...Galettes are simpler!
On a regular day I would push myself  to take the extra effort to make a perfect looking dinner and probably chuck it half way as I realize, I do not have a particular ingredient or an equipment. Well, but for today,galette, it was.

This rustic looking baby is extremely flavorful and also easy to prepare.  I find this one preparation extremely comforting, no-fuss food.
To up the nutrition quotient and make it easy for my body to digest who, otherwise... misbehaves with carb overload , I have made few changes to the original recipe of the savory galette, if there is any, that is!
Though the net is flooded with many versions of this food, must mention my inspirations for this particular preparation; Saee of My Jhola and Anushruti's blog,Divine Taste which features a spinach cheese pie recipe.
You may also want to check out this site for a few tricks while making a galette.

What I used:
11/2  cups mixed flour ( diabetic care atta from Jiva )
half cup oatmeal
3/4 th cup cold butter cut in cubes
bunch of baby spinach leaves from Trikaya sourced from my favorite place Godrej's Natures basket
3/4th cup home made paneer
2 tablespoon of grated cheese
1 spoonful of cream
salt, pinch of nutmeg
2 tablespoon Ice cold water for binding

Making the crust:
The  flour +  oatmeal +  salt+  cubes of cold butter ; in a bowl
Added 2-3 tablespoons of ice cold water to just about to bring this together and make a dough.
Over kneading, I had read, would spoil the game.
Wrapped  the dough in a cling film and left it in the fridge to chill for  about 30 minutes.

The filling:
In the meanwhile made the filling:
Combined spinach leaves + paneer  and ran them coarsely in a chopper for about a minute.
Removed in a bowl and mixed salt and nutmeg and the grated cheese and the spoonful cream.

Putting the galette together: 
Once out from the fridge, the dough behaves much better. I then rolled it into a round shape, about 5-6 inches diameter, I did not want it to be too big.
Carefully spooned the spinach mixture in the center, leaving out the sides.
The sides were then lifted up, pinched and folded inwards to form the shape.And it was pretty easy.
This was carefully slide into a preheated oven (200 degree Celsius) and the heat was then lowered to 175 degree Celsius. The galette seemed ready by 20 minutes, the cheese and spinach mixture bubbling happily, the sides looked delicious and brown and I knew It was time to get it out.




No comments:

Post a Comment